January 10, 2024

Recommitting to Older Workers in 2024: A Year of Unmatched Equity and Inclusion

Senior Adult, Females, One Woman Only, Smiling, Women

As we usher in the new year of 2024, organizations worldwide are embracing a renewed commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. While much progress has been made in recent years, one group that is often overlooked are older workers, who can bring a wealth of experience and knowledge to the table. Recommitting to older employees in the workforce is not just a matter of ethical responsibility but also a strategic move that can enhance productivity, foster innovation, and create a more inclusive workplace.

Addressing Ageism

Ageism, the discrimination or prejudice against individuals based on their age, remains a pervasive issue in the labor market.  Ageism continues to create barriers to employment for older workers and is projected to cost the U.S. economy nearly $4 trillion by 2050. Combatting ageism is a crucial step in fostering an inclusive environment. Organizations can implement training programs to raise awareness about the value of older workers, challenge stereotypes, and promote a culture that appreciates the diversity of skills and perspectives across all age groups.

Flexible Work Arrangements

One way to support older workers is by offering flexible work arrangements. This can include options for part-time schedules, job sharing, or remote work. Recognizing that employees may have different priorities or preferences at various stages of their careers can contribute to a more inclusive and accommodating workplace.

Training and Development Opportunities

Older workers are enthusiastic learners and are keen to keep their skills current. They understand that learning is a lifelong endeavor, regardless of age. However, approximately 90% of workforce development programs target students and younger adults, leaving just 10% to focused on the needs of adults age 50+. Investing in the professional development for all workers, including older workers, is essential for both individual growth and organizational success. Offering training programs that focus on updating skills, embracing new technologies, and staying abreast of industry trends can empower employees to thrive in a rapidly changing work environment.

Promoting Interconnectedness

Building a workplace culture that encourages collaboration and mentorship between employees of different age groups fosters a sense of interconnectedness. Mentorship programs that facilitate knowledge transfer between generations can strengthen the overall team dynamics. Multigenerational teams with a “wide” age range of 25 years or more from youngest to oldest team members met or exceeded expectations 73% of the time. Meanwhile, teams with a “narrow” range of less than ten years did so only 35% of the time. By creating opportunities for cross-generational teamwork, organizations can leverage the strengths of both younger and older workers, resulting in enhanced creativity and problem-solving capabilities.

Age-Inclusive Policies

Age-inclusive policies form the cornerstone of an organizational commitment to supporting older workers. To truly recommit to this demographic, a thorough review and revision of existing policies are imperative. Organizations must adopt recruitment strategies that actively seek diverse candidates across age groups, recognizing the valuable skills and experience that older individuals bring. Beyond recruitment and retirement, cultivating a culture of respect throughout the employee lifecycle is essential.


As we embark on the journey of 2024, let it be a year of unmatched equity and inclusion in the workplace. By recommitting to older workers, organizations can not only benefit from their wealth of experience and knowledge but also contribute to a more diverse, dynamic, and innovative work environment. By dispelling misconceptions and acknowledging the contributions older workers offer, employers can establish a workforce that is not only more inclusive but also more prosperous. It is vital to harness the institutional knowledge, problem-solving acumen, dedication, and robust interpersonal skills of older employees. A collaborative, multigenerational team has the potential to propel innovation, foster collaboration, and achieve overarching success, all the while dismantling age-related biases and laying the groundwork for a more equitable future. Let us make 2024 a year where all workers, regardless of age, feel valued, respected, and empowered to contribute their best to the organizations they serve.